Top Ten Reasons Why Twitter is Stupid and Why You Should Care
As I talk about Twitter with people, there seem to be three camps:
1) The Twitter Addicted: These are people that swear that life as they know it would stop if Twitter went away. They follow everyone and actually read every Tweet. They may limit their follows to celebrities or market leaders or every one in their school, but they LOVE LOVE LOVE the never ending flow of information (even useless information) that flows from the Twittosphere.
2) Corporate America (who have embraced social) & Social Media Goons: These include people that are looking to turn Twitter into a way that actually drives revenue, brand awareness, or even personal on-line net worth. I guess it also includes the Twitter Spammers who send out 50 Tweets a day explaining how you can make $570/hour if you would just click their link. There are individuals here who are also Twitter Addicted – but again, the goal is to use the Twitter as a tool, more than a toy.
3) The Twitter Unitiated: These are people that think that Twitter is stupid and probably the biggest waste of time ever invented. Who could possibly be interested in hearing what Charlie Sheen is drunkenly babbling about, much less what your neighbor is saying when he walks into the local supermarket to buy a loaf of bread.
I am definitely a bleeding edge Technogeek. I love new technology and new ideas and am always trying to find ways to push the limits of what products were designed to do (e.g. jailbreaking my overworked iPhone/iPad, wiring my home with more servers and network cable than most small companies, etc.). My cousin often yells at me for installing too many apps on my computer and then grumbling about how unstable it has become. However, even though I created a Twitter account back in early 2008, I would have considered myself in that third camp until a few months ago.
I spent last weekend with a few different groups of people who definitely thought Twitter was stupid and I found myself in the interesting role of defending a concept that I have only semi-recently embraced. I thought it would be interesting to share why people are in the “Twitter Sucks” camp. We should keep these complaints in mind as we develop new applications, seek new content absorbers, and tweet with reckless abandon. I will spend a future post (“Twitter Does Not Suck, right?”) addressing why I have found Twitter to be useful both as a marketer as well as a marketing tool.
So, here’s my top ten list on why Twitter Is Stupid
- I don’t have enough time to read my e-mail and barely enough time to occasionally look at Facebook., I don’t have time to follow Twitter.
- It’s impossible to communicate anything of any value in 140 characters.
- Why should I tweet? Who cares what I have to say!?
- I looked at Twitter and there are people following 25,000 people – that just proves how ridiculous of a tool it is.
- The tweets I looked at seem to be nothing more than people pushing get rich quick links.
- Random ramblings of famous people is stupid enough – much less those of people I don’t care about.
- Twitter seems to be nothing more than a game to get as many followers as possible. What possible value is there if people are just blindly following whoever follows them?
- Twitter is filled with people automatically posting links from RSS feeds. I can just open a web site and get better info.
- There are 9000 other ways to get a message to someone (e-mail, voice, text, IM, fax, carrier pigeon), why should I bother with Twitter?
- And the #1 reason why Twitter is Stupid — Justin Bieber.
What do you think?
See this post for the counterpoint to this article: